Re: Stolen debian logo?

> > I'm not a lawyer, but Debian probably can't claim a trademark (since
> > it doesn't engage in trade).
> Doesn't it sell CDs as a fund-raiser?  That's trade, just not
> necessarily profit-oriented trade.

i have never heard of actual sales being a requirement of trademark law. not
in the US, anyway. that would be a startup's trademarks would be invalid
until they made their first sale. it also would mean charities (mostly)
could not have trademarks.

btw, there is a big difference between a "(tm)" and an "(r)". you have a lot
more legal standing and potential compensation if you have a registered
trademark.

--
Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net>
DSA Key ID 0xE6CB97DA