Re: DVD copying and CSS

Pigeon writes:
> But what happens if the CD (LP, cassette, DVD, whatever) in question is
> no longer published?

You are SOL.  Note that the publisher might still have a financial interest
in preventing the production of copies as he may feel that they would
compete with his newer products.  This is one of the defects of copyright:
it sometimes permits and encourages the suppression of works.  The
excessive duration of copyright under current law makes this particularly
pernicious.

> Are the publishers to keep all titles available forever? (I think they
> should, I wish they would, but the trouble is, they don't...)

Better that the works fall into the public domain promptly after the
copyright holder has had a chance to make some money.  Five years seems
plenty long enough to me (the original term in the US was 14 years).
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)