Re: Comment on HP printer working on Debian 3.0

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Antonio Rodr wrote:
> I have a hp dj 5550, connected via parallel port, but can be connected
> via usb too. Works great, except printing pictures from gimp, I tried
> once 2 or 3 months ago, didn't work great, and since I print mostly
> documents I forgot about it until now trying to respond to your message.
> Docs (text, html, dvi, ps, pdf) are printed with high quality, using the
> hpijs from sourceforge.net

It will work quite well from gimp too, as long as you teach gimp NOT to try
to use anything other than lp (or xpp, or lpr) to print.  Set it to a
postscript printer, save the PPD somewhere gimp can use and point it to the
PPD file, and all will be well.

I have a DJ5550 printing from CUPS, and with a proper gimp setup, I can
print in full photo mode without any problems, using normal cartridges, or
the photo cartridge.

This printer is nice in that it does all detection of paper and print
quality automatically, but it _does waste ink_, and nothing we can do in the
hpijs driver will fix it, since the printer does internal colormap
processing on the data sent to it, and uses whatever ink it sees fit.

  Henrique Holschuh