Losing too many ticks!

TSC cannot be used as a timesource (Are you running with SpeedStep?)
Falling back to a sane timesource.

This pops up on my console a little while after bootup. I'm not sure what
it's talking about or how to make it just use the "sane timesource" to
begin with. I compile a 2.6 kernel. I assume it has something to do with
one of the things I selected in the configuration, but I haven't a clue as
to what.

A little help requested please.

A semi-lucid programmer who recalls quite clearly why she used to keep a
sysadmin on call.