Re: Help with dselect

On (20/12/03 19:31), Medi Esmail wrote:
> HI all, I was wondering if i can recover from a
> mistake i did using dselect, I was choosing the new
> kernel package and when it came up with dependencies i
> found some packages i had were removed etc any way i
> made some changes and went to the main menu of dselect
> and chose install at which point it came up with X
> number of packages were going to be removed etc and
> installed etc... at that point i wanted to backout and
> I chose No, so im back at my main menu.
> What I want to do now is revert all my selections and
> not go ahead with the new install and want the
> selection to go back to normal as it was before I
> selected anything.
> I tried going into the /var/lib/dpkg directory and
> copied over status-old over the status.. that did
> remove the selection in dselect however if i choose
> install again it still has all the packages there to
> remove and add and upgrade as before even thou they
> dont showup in the dselect list ..
> Is there a way i can get dselect to reread my system
> and rebuild the list of whats installed and forget any
> packages which might be selected to install??
> Please any help would be highly appreciated (im a
> relativly new user and dont want to reinstall unless
> there is no other option).

man dselect refers to:

Establishing the requested selections
However,  if there  are any unresolveded depends, dselect will
again prompt the user with a dependency resolution screen.  To
alter a set of selections that creates unresolved depends  or
conflicts  and forcing dselect to accept it, press the 'Q' key.
This sets the selections as specified by the user, unconditionally.
Generally, don't do this unless you've read the fine print.

The opposite effect, to back out any selections change requests and
the 'X' or escape keys.  By repeatedly pressing these keys, any
possibly detrimental changes to the requested package selections can
be backed out completely to the last established settings.

HTH

Clive

--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk