Re: dial-up to ethernet

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I didn't want to
weigh down my first post with a lot of info that
might have been irrelevant (such as all the
things I did that didn't work).  To supply the
information that was asked for, however:
  /etc/network/interfaces has the following:
first, it says the connection is static, which it
isn't, it's DHCP.  It says the address is
192.168.1.1 (The Mac OS, on which the
connection is working fine, says 192.168.1.100
[or, sometimes, 101]).  netmask is
255.255.255.0 (Mac agrees), network is
192.168.1.0 (Mac says router address is
192.168.1.1); broadcast is 192.168.1.255, and
gateway is 192.168.1.2.  So, do I need to rewrite
this file to make it correspond as much as
possible to what the Mac is telling me?
Especially about DHCP?
  "ifconfig" (I guess naturally) gives most of this
same info.  "route" gives only localnet (which
/etc/networks defines as 92.168.1.0),
 "dmesg" does have a line in it: eth0 warning !
Unsupported BCM5400 PHY
  DNS is not the problem, it won't reach anybody
(except it will ping 192.168.1.1) numerically
either.
  When I try to do "/sbin/route add -net
192.168.1.0" I get 'invalid argument".  "add
default gw..."  gives "lookup failure".
  Something I read says to rewrite the
/etc/init.d/network file.  Unfortumately, there is no
such file.
  Did I cover everything?  One (hopefully simple)
question I'm still left with is:  how do internet
apps, from ping to Mozilla, know I'm not using
ppp/ttyX any more but eth0 over a network?  I'm
*not* using ppp, am I? (certainly pppconfig
doesn't seem to know what an eth0 is)
  And, last but not least, what am I doing wrong?

  Thanks,

  Mike

P.S.  a new kernel is interesting (and may, of
course, even prove to be necessary), but a bit
complicated given my boot set up.  Needs to be
a separate subject, though, I think.