Re: Help with move to CUPS

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 11:56, R Ransbottom wrote:
> I starting to do an upgrade on a small network of
> debian systems.  Moving from 1.3 to 3.0.
>
> It seems like time to replace lpr with CUPS.

I have been having quite a lot of fun hacking on cups lately, it's good
stuff.

> I am having a problem getting a handle on CUPS.
> Oh, I have set up single systems with attached printers
> without problems.  I have never seen any setup
> of networked printers except via lpr.
>
> I have a couple of LaserJet 6L's and LJ 4000's that
> I'd like to connect to the LAN via NetGear PS101 Mini
> Printer Servers.  I am starting with one LJ 6L.  6L's
> don't do postscript, LJ4000's do.
>
> Specific questions:
>
> What "Device" to use for a free standing printer,
> http, ipp, lpd/lpr?

Most hardware print servers, (jetdirect-style boxes) work well as lpd
servers, that's how I have had cups communicating with my 80+ printers
for a while now. Out of curiosity though, why go with an external print
server when those printers can all use internal JetDirects?

> If lpd/lpr, how do you construct a URI for such
> a printer?

lpd://ip.address.of.printer/

> Do I want 10 desktop machines to directly talk to
> a LJ4000 or have an intermediary host be their
> server?

I would go for having a server. If they are linux desktops,
configuration is as simple as editing /etc/cups/client.conf and setting
ServerName server.ip.address, if they are windows systems, cups+samba
works nicely.

--
Mark Roach