Help with move to CUPS

I starting to do an upgrade on a small network of
debian systems.  Moving from 1.3 to 3.0.

It seems like time to replace lpr with CUPS.

I am having a problem getting a handle on CUPS.
Oh, I have set up single systems with attached printers
without problems.  I have never seen any setup
of networked printers except via lpr.

I have a couple of LaserJet 6L's and LJ 4000's that
I'd like to connect to the LAN via NetGear PS101 Mini
Printer Servers.  I am starting with one LJ 6L.  6L's
don't do postscript, LJ4000's do.

Specific questions:

What "Device" to use for a free standing printer,
http, ipp, lpd/lpr?

If lpd/lpr, how do you construct a URI for such
a printer?

Do I want 10 desktop machines to directly talk to
a LJ4000 or have an intermediary host be their
server?