Re: Alas and alack.

Scott Dier - dieman said:

> Microsoft does, in its credit, allow people to hit the 'upgrade my box for
> me forever' button for the non-paranoid.

I think that may be a bit misleading. From what I read for example the
SQL server 2000 service pack 2 was a very difficult upgrade requiring manual
copying of files, shutting down the database, rebooting the server and probably
more(I haven't looked at the install myself, I have no such systems), but
I think it's far from trivial.

And how many companies would want their SQL or web servers rebooting without
warning?

desktop stuff is far easier to manage for MS, seems their server stuff still
has some issues. And I keep reading stories about people deploying a fix,
only to see that it breaks something and having to revert(or perhaps they
were lucky enough to have a test bed to deploy the fixes on before rolling
them out).

I don't even do apt-get upgrade unattended.

Even if MS could make their fixes easily installable to the point where
they can be fully automated I wouldn't be suprised if that caused more
"damage" then something like a worm since they wouldn't be able to test
the fixes.

Debian's policy is good, no invasive changes during a stable release, I
always cringe when I upgrade my frebsd systems. I remember upgrading from
freebsd 4.4 to 4.6, and the firewall tool(ipfw) segfaulted until I built
a new kernel and rebooted(!)

nate