Re: Alas and alack.

I'm a big Linux fan because of usability, extensibility, flexibility, and security issues. I believe that the different mechanisms available with GNU software, especially the Debian GNU/Linux way, lends itself well to dealing with these issues. But not even Debian can deal with systems that are improperly managed. Apparently some people still don't take software maintenance seriously. Self managed systems can help some, but it still takes involvement from people, and that will always be the bottom line as far as I am concerned.

Being something of a newbie myself, can someone suggest a way to keep a system up to date?

I know through apt-get (or wajig) you can automatically download and install the latest updates, but I would like to see a system that automatically notifies you (via email?) when such an update results in new packages being installed.

Ideas?

- Bobman