Re: [OT] question regarding sort(1)

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 14:12, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) [030126 11:22]:

>   man sort
>
>        The full documentation for sort is maintained as a Texinfo
>        manual.  If  the  info  and  sort  programs  are  properly
>        installed at your site, the command
>
>               info sort
>
>     Unless otherwise specified, all comparisons use the character
>     collating sequence specified by the `LC_COLLATE' locale.
>
> Therefore your current locale directly controls sort ordering.  This
> is a number one source of confusion for sort and ls and appears in the
> GNU coreutils faq.
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/fileutils/doc/faq/
>
> > works for me:
>
> Me too.
>
> > doozer:/tmp% locale
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>
> Veneet poses a good point.  What is your locale?
>
> Try setting your locale to posix and see if that works for you.
>
>   LC_ALL=POSIX sort < infile > outfile

Ah ha!  That worked...  Setting it to C also worked.

$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

I'm sure I'll be back, if I can't figure out how to permanently change
the locale.

Thanks,
Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |