Re: [OT] question regarding sort(1)

Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) [030126 11:22]:
> > On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 11:40, Steve Juranich wrote:

  man sort

       The full documentation for sort is maintained as a Texinfo
       manual.  If  the  info  and  sort  programs  are  properly
       installed at your site, the command

              info sort

    Unless otherwise specified, all comparisons use the character
    collating sequence specified by the `LC_COLLATE' locale.

Therefore your current locale directly controls sort ordering.  This
is a number one source of confusion for sort and ls and appears in the
GNU coreutils faq.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/fileutils/doc/faq/

> works for me:

Me too.

> doozer:/tmp% locale
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Veneet poses a good point.  What is your locale?

Try setting your locale to posix and see if that works for you.

  LC_ALL=POSIX sort < infile > outfile

Bob