Re: How to determine why a package is "held back"?

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:35:00AM -0500, stan wrote:
> I've got 2 differnt "testing' machines that should be set up in a very
> similar fashion (mine which I tend to test things on first, and my wife's,
> which I ry to keep _very_ stable).
>
> Latley when I do apt-gte update ; apt-get dist-upgrade, her machine has
> been "holding back" gnome-common.
>
> How can I determine why this is os, and correct it?

This may tell you why it is held back:

Start aptitude.
Search for gnome-common.
Press enter to display package description and dependencies.
Scroll to bottom to view available versions.
Highlight held-back version and press enter and scroll through list
to find dependencies that are not being met.
Repeatedly press "q" to close displayed information and exit aptitude.

--
Jerome