Re: phoenix and java?

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:14:21PM -0500, Seneca wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:27:55PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > Is there a way to add java support to Phoenix by using debian packages? I
> > did a quick google and came up with these:
>
> Phoenix works for me with the Blackdown Java debs.
>
> > When I install the plug-in directly from phoenix's site (running the
> > browser as root) I get the following error when I go to the web site I
> > want (running the browser as either root or as me):
> >
> > java_vm: relocation error:
> > /usr/local/phoenix/plugins/java2/lib/i386/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait,
> > version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
> > INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from browser
> > System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> Which version of Java, which version of libc6?  For a while, I had some
> issues with the Java plugin, but they work for me now (J2SDK1.4
> 1.4.0.99beta-1, libc6 2.3.1-10).

I'm interested in using the Phoenix browser too,
yet I'm not too convinced that this browser would
work on my Deb Potato system.

I have these libraries:

/lib/libc-2.1.3.so
/lib/libc.so.5
/lib/libc.so.5.4.46
/lib/libc.so.6

and couldn't find anything on the Phoenix web page
mentioning system requirements. Would someone kindly
jump in and provide some advice?

Besides, the above libraries - what do they say?
Does this system provide a 'plain' glibc without
any minor release, something like glibc2.00000?

There is a Debian.migration file on my hd, but no
mentioning which glibc2 is installed - and what does
this lib "libc-2.1.3.so" in the list above mean, is
this the minor version I'm asking for?

Would appreciate if someone could clarify

thanks

-Robert