Re: devfs newbie questions about mounting

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 10:44:14PM -0500, Dave W wrote:
> I've been messing around with devfs in sid, trying to learn my way
> around, since this may be the way of the future ... and although
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd makes good SENSE and is pretty easy
> to figure out, it's not so quick to type when mounting by hand.  I'm
> used to more or less ignoring the fstab and mounting the old way, like
> "mount /dev/fd0 /floppy <enter>."  Takes about two seconds, and it's
> done.
>
> Outside of starting to use fstab, is there a better/faster way to mount
> things using the command line, with devfs?

devfsd creates symlinks from old device names to devfs device names.
/dev/hda1 will be a symlink to ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1. Your
/dev/cdrom will be a symlink to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0.

So "mount /dev/fd0 /floppy" will still work, or you could mount the device
with "mount /dev/floppy/0 /floppy".

--
Jerome