Re: nvidia drivers

This one time, at band camp, Rob Weir said:
> Well, actually, OpenGL isn't supported by the free ones at all.  Not
> hardware accelerated GL anyhow.
>
> OT: What is up with NVidia's drivers?  They seem to enjoy bringing my
> machine down every few hours, especially if I actually make use of the
> hardware accleration.  Not only do they lock up my machine, but they
> also seem to cause spontaneous reboots!  I've spent ages trying to find
> what exactly was causing the problem, but no luck so far...

I noticed a lot of the same problems you mention here, but I was pretty
certain it was caused by TwinView. (I have a LeadTek GF2MX with two VGA
connectors.) The most lockups seemed to happen while I was watching TV
(Hauppauge WinTV 401), but it wasn't just that. One time it happened in
the middle of the night when seti@home was the only thing running.

I never nailed down why it was happening, and new versions haven't fixed
it yet.
--
Nick