Re: devfs + grub [was Re: RAM upgrade]

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 06:45:43AM +0800, csj wrote:
| On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:36:25 -0500
| "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
|
| >  I've been using devfs for months.  I really like it.  It makes it much
| >  easier to identify problems with "missing" devices.  (I can't read my
| >  cd, but /dev/cdrom is there.  It doesn't matter if the inode is on
| >  disk.)
|
| As a side question, does devfs play nice with grub

Yep.  It plays just as nice as it does with lilo.

| (seeing that devfs has the habit of "renaming" devices)?

The "renaming" is just a matter of convention anyways, really.  (don't
believe me?  create an inode called "my_computer" with major/minor
numbers 3,1 and see if you can't use that in place of hda1)

devfsd is neat, too, because (with the default configuration) it
automatically creates "compatibility" symlinks that have the old name
to point to the new name of the device.  Of course, it won't create
/dev/cdrom if you don't really have a cdrom device.  Eg on my system,
/dev/cdrom looks like :

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           13 Jun  4 19:13 /dev/cdrom -> cdroms/cdrom0

The only odd thing I've noticed is the root= parameter to the kernel.
That must be the old name.  I have no idea why, but trying the devfs
name fails.

Here's my grub stanza for booting the pre-packaged kernel :

title       Debian GNU/Linux (2.4.18-k7 , 1280x1024x16)
    root        (hd0,0)
    kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7 root=/dev/hda1 read-only devfs=mount video=vesa vga=0x31A
    initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k7

-D

--

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0