Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic---cramfs problem

Tom Allison wrote:

I got a really interesting one.

I am running a stock K7 kernel from woody.
I recall seeing such things as cramfs, VFS, and initrd during the boot sequence.

I upgraded my RAM to replace the current 128M to 768M

Now, when I boot it panics with a message that VFS can't mount the root device at 03:02.

Here are the boot lines that occur when it fails:
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
devfs: v1.10 (20020120) Richard Gooch
devfs: boot_options: 0x0
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Serial driver version 5.05c
RQ SERIAL_PCI enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4)...
ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq - 4)...
block: 128 slots per queue, batch=32
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
Cronyx Ltd, Synchronous PPP and CISCO HDLC
Linux port (c) 1998 Building Number Three Ltd & Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs is not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
I replace the RAM with 128M stick that has worked in the past and I get:
[ posting only the differences between the previous entry]
Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 2700 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... /
done
Freeing initrd memory: 2700k freed
VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem).
[and the rest goes on from there]

I'm thinking that there is some sort of problem in creating a RAMDISK from cramfs...