Re: so how do the pros read all those .gz docs, zless?

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:13:42AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
| Lots of /usr/share/doc's are in .gz format.

Nicely compressed to conserve your disk space :-).

| What does Joe Average do to read them, zcat, zless, etc. over and
| over?

I don't know, I'm not "Joe Average".  (some people call me "weird")

I use either zless (just like I would have used 'less' if it wasn't
compressed) or more often 'view' (vim in read-only mode; vim6
automatically decompresses .gz files).

| (Nifty me of course
| uses emacs' dired's "v" with auto-compression-mode on.  Seems to be
| ideal.

| However then one encounters patches of HTML docs, which seem
| best suited for galeon, mozilla, not w3...)

links or galeon.  Galeon will automatically decompress the gzipped
ones (IIRC).

| By the way I installed all those linux journals issue ...22, 33,
| 44... and was surprised to see that there was some wrapping paper that
| ended up in /usr/share/doc

Every package is required (by Policy) to have some documentation in
/usr/share/doc/<package-name>/.  Some have better docs than others,
though, and some have so much documentation that it's in a separate
package.

-D

--

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/