Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 20:48, Tom Allison wrote:

> >>I upgraded my RAM to replace the current 128M to 768M
> >>
> >>Now, when I boot it panics with a message that VFS can't mount
> >>the root device at 03:02.
> >>

> I selected the limit of 768M based on conversations with the MOBO MFG
> and my documentation.
> It should not be a problem

This would be too easy, but I once encountered ram that had to be
installed in a specific order (even though they were all supposed to be
the same sticks with the same amount of memory).  Try moving the sticks
around.  If you have 3 256MB sticks, try telling lilo to only use the
first 256MB with:

append = "mem=256M"

or similar to narrow down what stick is causing the problem.

Jamie Strandboge

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A