Re: [OT] Making images from CDs

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 01:19:24PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 12:39:06AM -0400, Thomas J. Hamman wrote:
> > First, a simple question:  What is the correct command-line way of
> > copying a CD to an image file on the hard drive?  Is a simple "dd
> > if=/dev/cdrom of=cd.img" command sufficient?  Or do I need to run
>
> Use cat if you like.
>
>   cat /dev/cdrom > cd.iso9660

It should (as I thought initially).  I learned this to be not completely
what is needed by the original poster in hard way.  This sometimes does
not work very well on some CD like windows98 :-)  2 unused tracks or so
get copied from CD.  See following memo on how I did.

    http://www.aokiconsulting.com/quick/ch5.html#s5.5.9

This is documented somewhere in cdrecord documents.

> > Now, a tougher problem:  I received an "Input/output error" while trying
> > to copy a CD to an image file (using xcdroast, and I also got the error
> > while trying dd).  I tried another CD and it worked fine, so I'm
> > guessing the problem is the particular CD.  The CD does work fine,
> > however.  So, what I'm wondering is whether or not there is anyway
> > around such an error, or whether it would be worthwhile to go ahead and
> > burn the resulting image and hope it works.

Above method should avoid this.

BTW, if in doubts, always use command line tools like cdrecord which is
actually backend of cdroast.  There is rich documentation and special
options.

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +