Re: Where do I find NAT for IPTABLES?

	Subject: Re: Where do I find NAT for IPTABLES?
	Date: Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 07:32:06PM +0200

Quoting Daniel Mashao(daniel@vitasat.ee.uct.ac.za):
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Wayne Topa wrote:
>

> > 	Subject: Where do I find NAT for IPTABLES?
> > 	Date: Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 01:43:23AM +0200

> > Quoting Daniel Mashao(daniel@vitasat.ee.uct.ac.za):
> > > Is it an option that I need to make a module or insert in the kernel? In
> > > which part of the kernel setting is NAT mentioned? If all I want is just a
> > #
> > CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=m
> Should I make them modules? Can I have them in the kernel instead of
> modules?

Sure, either way.  Using them as modules saves memory only if you you
will have your filewall off-line. If the filewall is always on it
dosen't save any memory over the module approach.

> I have a problem with modules. My system puts them in
> 		/lib/modules/2.4.6/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/
> Debian for some reason cannot find modules here. So I prefer putting stuff
> in the kernel rather than as modules.

Its not debian Daniel.  I am running potato 2.2r3, with the 2.4.6 and
2.4.7 kernels (NOT compiled the Debian way) and am using modules on
both systems.  I am not having any problem finding the modules.

I have this in the beginning of the /etc/init.d/firewall script
# Masquerading
# Load the NAT module
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ip_conntrack
/sbin/modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
/sbin/modprobe ip_nat_ftp

It works fine.

> All I want is that my home PC would log into my work PC and be able to
> surf the web for itself. Right now I can log into my work PC but I cannot
> see anything further from there. I can ping my work PC and that is it.
Well it should work the way you want.  Woth or without modules.

Good Luck!

Wayne
--
A Law of Computer Programming:
  Make it possible for programmers to write in English and you