Re: program response sluggish compared to Win98

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 06:07:25PM +0200, Alex Suzuki wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 08:02:40AM -0400, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> > You are wrong --- WP8 was natively written for Linux.  It's WP9, aka
> > WP2000, that's run under wine, and wow is it horrible.
>
> Does anybody know how the Corel Office Suite (WP2000) compares to
> StarOffice in terms of performance & compatbility to M$-Word format?
> I have StarOffice installed here, and hey, I mean I've got a
> 750 MhZ Duron processor, a quick harddrive and 512 Megs of RAM,
> and I still wouldn't recommend it!
I guess WP2000 isn't much better, since it uses wine to run, it's
essentially still a windows program. The windows version isn't very
fast in native windows...

The (wine) linux port of Corel PhotoPaint isn't very fast either, and
I don't think WP2000 will be much faster... The UI is a bit sluggish.
Last time I tried exporting to word from wordperfect, it only crashed
;). The Word 2000 Wordperfect import filter works quite nice for me,
though the WP2000 export filter should be better then the W2000
import, according some computer magazines...

For me, the performance of StarOffice, apart from the startup time,
isn't that bad, using a 750 mhz Duron, 256 Mb ram and a rather slow
harddrive.

The StarOffice Word export works ok, though images are a bit streched,
and the position & stuff is fucked up, so I usually have to re-insert
the images in Word...
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
Ooops. Save your work, everyone. FAST!