Re: syslogd and exim cron job every 20 minutes

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 06:36:44PM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> "Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@morgul.net> writes:
>
> > Well, if you look at the line that's logged, you'll see that it's not
> > coming from Exim at all, but from cron.  So changing the way syslog
> > handles the mail facility won't help.
>
> Yes, that's why I tried adding "cron.!*" to the rule.  But it seems
> that it was overriden by "*.=info" rule, which was below the
> "cron.!*".

There's no such syslog facility "cron".  Cron logs to the 'daemon'
facility.  The only way to tweak what cron messages you see is to adjust
what daemon priorities get logged.  Read the syslog and syslog.conf man
pages.

Basically, every time cron runs something it sends a message to syslog
with a priority of 'daemon.info'.  The default syslog.conf sends
daemon.info to xconsole.  You don't want that.  IIRC 'notice' is the
next severity up.  If you make sure that only daemon.notice and higher
are going to xconsole, then you won't get the messages about cron
running things.

Of course, there may very well be many other tools that log at
daemon.info, and you won't see them if you aren't logging that priority
message to xconsole.  You'll just have to deal with it; it's one of the
many limitations of syslog.

Note that some utilities allow you to configure what syslog facility
they use....I don't think cron is one of them, but if you find that
you're not seeing some of the messages you want after disabling
daemon.info, you might want to see if you can configure the other
programs to log to some other facility.

noah