Re: syslogd and exim cron job every 20 minutes

"Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@morgul.net> writes:

> Well, if you look at the line that's logged, you'll see that it's not
> coming from Exim at all, but from cron.  So changing the way syslog
> handles the mail facility won't help.

Yes, that's why I tried adding "cron.!*" to the rule.  But it seems
that it was overriden by "*.=info" rule, which was below the
"cron.!*".

> The cron logs come from the daemon facility.  I have the following line
> is syslog.conf:
> *.notice        |/dev/xconsole

The default rule looks like this:

,----[ syslog.conf ]
| daemon.*;mail.*;\
|         news.crit;news.err;news.notice;\
|         *.=debug;*.=info;\
|         *.=notice;*.=warn       |/dev/xconsole
`----

It seems that if I simplify it to the extent you propose, I might lose
some information that I'd rather see.  I *ony* wanted to get rid of cron
logging its normal activities.

In case anyone was following, changing the above to the following
solved my problem.

,----[ syslog.conf ]
| daemon.*;mail.!*;\
|         news.crit;news.err;news.notice;\