Re: mail address validation

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:25:18 GMT, Colin Watson writes:
>edisonmail@gmx.de wrote:
>>does anybody know a function in php4 to easily validate if an email
>>adress give by the user is in the valid
>>somebody@somewhere.topleveldom form? or did anybody ever
>>write a function for doing that and is willing to share it with me?
>
>Disclaimer: "I don't know PHP, but ..."
>
>The standard answer when people ask how to do this in Perl is "don't".

Let sendmail do it for you: call sendmail as an external program and
 parse the output

[waldner:~] sendmail -bv cjw44@flatline.org.uk
cjw44@flatline.org.uk... deliverable: mailer esmtp, host \
 flatline.org.uk., user cjw44@flatline.org.uk

just my 2 cents,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /