Re: mail address validation

edisonmail@gmx.de wrote:
>does anybody know a function in php4 to easily validate if an email
>adress give by the user is in the valid
>somebody@somewhere.topleveldom form? or did anybody ever
>write a function for doing that and is willing to share it with me?

Disclaimer: "I don't know PHP, but ..."

The standard answer when people ask how to do this in Perl is "don't".
RFC 822 is evil to parse, and the work involved in doing that doesn't
actually give you a great deal of benefit. After all, most addresses
that look valid won't be deliverable anyway. The only way to tell if an
address is deliverable is really to try sending something to it.

Have I misunderstood why you need this?