Re: Back from the mountains / Problem when purging TL 2007?

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

>> While playing with tex-common's doc, I uninstalled TL 2007 to reinstall
>> tetex (because debiandoc2latexpdf wasn't too happy with TL...).

More precisely, the problem is:

% debiandoc2latexpdf -s \
     ~/debian-tex/tex-common/trunk/doc/texify-tex-output TeX-on-Debian.sgml
/usr/bin/debiandoc2latexpdf: line 253: thumbpdf: command not found
debiandoc2latexpdf: ERROR: thumbnail images could not be generated properly
debiandoc2latexpdf: rerun with the -v option to found out why
debiandoc2latexpdf: or check the log file TeX-on-Debian.log
%

> How did you do that?  "apt-get remove <what>"?  Which parts of TL were
> installed?

I used dselect. I think the list of packages I purged before
reinstalling tetex was the following:

texlive texlive-latex-extra texlive-lang-german texlive-metapost
texlive-lang-french texlive-font-utils texlive-lang-italian
texlive-science texlive-math-extra texlive-latex-recommended
texlive-bibtex-extra texlive-latex-base texlive-pstricks
texlive-lang-spanish texlive-fonts-extra texlive-pictures
texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-generic-recommended texlive-base
texlive-doc-base texlive-base-bin texlive-common context
preview-latex-style

[...]

> So all seems fine.

I just tried to reproduce the problem with apt-get, but failed:
   - first, the removal of texlive-base-bin failed because of the
     problem you reported in
     <[🔎] 87irdah0ej.fsf@riesling.zuerich.kuesterei.ch>
     (the postrm tried to run fmtutil-sys, which wasn't present anymore);
   - I solved that with:

       dpkg --unpack /var/cache/apt/archives/tetex-bin_3.0-30_i386.deb

     followed by:

       dpkg -P texlive-base-bin

Then, I did 'apt-get install tetex-bin tetex-base' and
'apt-get install tetex-extra', and all went fine, and after that,
debiandoc2latexpdf was also working fine.

So, I don't know, maybe dselect does things differently than the apt-get
commands I tried this evening, or maybe I hit something that isn't so
easy to reproduce.

--
Florent