Re: I need your help

Masa Takeuti <delphyne@sb.starcat.ne.jp> wrote:

> Dear maintainers
>
> Last week, I installed TEX in my computer. But it didn't work
> (segmentation fault) . I tried to remove packages but apt stopped
> halfway. I am in a very bad situation. I can't apt-get anything!  I
> hope you give me some instruction to escape from this fatal situation.
[...]
> Then, I tested a testscript.
>
> $platex testscript.tex
> segmentation fault
>
> I guessed that this was because I forgot to install ptex-buildsupport.

No, this wasn't the reason - ptex-buildsupport is only needed to create
the ptex-bin package.

> Then, I tried to install it. And I got an error message:

> fmtutil: format directory : ~/web2c does not exist
> WARNING fmtutil was run as root: fmtutill-sys was used instead

This doesn't seem like an error message, just a warning.  But I don't
get it - after which command exactly did you get it?

> #kpsewhich --help
> Recognized format names and their suffixes:
> segmentation fault
> #dpkg  --listfiles tetex-extra
> /etc/texmf/upmap.d/20tetex-extra.cfg

> It seems that of the tetex-extra package, only one file remains (20tetex-extra.cfg)

Yes, well, you removed it, and only the configuration files are left
(since you didn't use --purge).  But the segmentation fault shows that
also tetex-bin is broken.

> I am very confused.

Indeed, it seems as if you have not enough knowledge of how apt and dpkg
works to use unstable.

> I want you to give me some instruction to get rid of this situation.
> I want to use tex.
> But first of all, I want to use apt-get.

It seems to me as if your problems with apt-get are nothing related to
TeX, and would be more appropriate for a users list.  Anyway, to clear
things up, you should first try these commands:

dpkg --configure --pending
apt-get -f install

and report any error messages you get.  After that, try removing the
packages one at a time, and rather purge them.  For the packages that
are already removed, purge them with

dpkg --purge <packagename>

for the ones that are still installed, use

apt-get --purge remove <packagename>

Debian Developer (teTeX)