on TeXlive

Hi, I changed the subject to reflect an issue here.

From: Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>
Subject: Re: Regression testing of tetex
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:55:43 +0100

> > I guess this is not so big problem.  At least, TeXlive without
> > texlive-lang-polish and pTeX work together without any problem.
>
> So I will make texlive-lang-polish conflict with ptex, and otherwise no
> comment. Then it should work. If you add the respective dependency
> alternatives to ptex, of course.

Yes and I already filed bugs to ptex-base/bin, jtex-base/bin
dvipsk-ja, xdvik-ja and dvi2ps to support texlive.

Encouraged with your building of ptex-base/bin, I've tested
japanese TeX packages under TeXlive and found some questions
on texlive packages ;-)

About Description;
* "apt-cache show texlive-latex-base" showed me, especially,
amslatex -- Miscellaneous LaTeX enhancements.
latex -- Macro package for TeX (the most popular).
bin-latex -- Macro package for TeX (the most popular).

but "apt-cache show texlive-math-extra" showed me
amstex -- American Mathematical Society plain TeX macros.

So I guess amslatex shoud be;
amslatex -- American Mathematical Society LaTeX macros.
(or something similar)

and

latex -- Macro package for TeX (the most popular).
bin-latex -- Macro package for TeX (the most popular).

looks a bit strange to me.  texlive-math-extra also
contains

amstex -- American Mathematical Society plain TeX macros.
bin-amstex -- American Mathematical Society plain TeX macros.

which looks strange to me.
(There might be more descriptions in the same fashion but
I found only these.)

About directory structure;
It seems texlive-doc-* packages contains some duplications.
For example, "dpkg -L texlive-doc-ja" showed me;

/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc-ja/japanese/lshort-japanese/00README
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc-ja/japanese/lshort-japanese/CHANGES.jp
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc-ja/japanese/lshort-japanese/READ.ME
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc-ja/japanese/lshort-japanese/jlshort-1.00.src.tar.gz
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc-ja/japanese/lshort-japanese/jlshort.pdf.gz

/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/japanese/lshort-japanese/jlshort.pdf.gz
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/japanese/lshort-japanese/jlshort-1.00.src.tar.gz
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/japanese/lshort-japanese/READ.ME
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/japanese/lshort-japanese/CHANGES.jp
/usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/japanese/lshort-japanese/00README

Are these real duplication or there are symlinks I failed
to find out?

If these are real duplication, then I'm afraid texlive-doc-en
has big duplication.

I'm afraid these could be my simple misunderstanding.

Regards,			    2006-3-16(Thu)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima