Re: Differences between stable and unstable tetex --- bugs?

Hi Norbert!

Thanks so much for looking into this problem!

It is good to know that I'm better off with tetex3 than tetex2 when it comes to document length issue!

As for the other problem, I looked into it again, and here's what I found:

If you look at the 'dubbel' script (in my first post in this thread), you see that the .ps-file generated by psnup is yadac.ps. When I view this file, both the unstable and stable versions have correct margins. And what is more, doing

<unstable> ps2pdf yadac.ps

produces wrong margins in the pdf *regardless* of wether I use yadac.ps from unstable or stable.

Similarly, doing

<stable> ps2pdf yadac.ps

produces a pdf with correct margins regardless of where I use yadac.ps from unstable or stable.

In my mind this clearly puts the error in the ps2pdf command.

I'm attaching the yadac.ps files used in this experiment --- thank you so much for looking into this problem!

/landhaj

Hi Land!

Concerning the length of the document I think I found the error: It seems
that the multicol package is to be blamed, but in fact the one in tetex2
produced the bad output. Look at your test document, stable tetex2, dvi
file, first page. You see that the columns are not balanced, the right
column is one line shorter than the left one. Same on the last page.
When you take a look at the dvi from unstable tetex3 you see that the
columns are well balanced. So I would say this problem is cleared, and
has nothing to do with memoir. It is simply a but in the old
multicol.sty.

Concerning the second problem also for this I have some comments: The ps
file
from stable and unstable look the same (besides the columns). Also after
the psselect call I see no difference. Only when after the call to psnup
everything is messed up AFAIS. So this seems to be a problem with the
psnup processor. Please check for the stable and unstable version:
- the postscript file after the dvips call (both should be ok)
- the postscript file after the psselect call (both should still be ok)
- the postscript file after the psnup file
here I expect a difference. If this is the case, you have to dig into
the differences of the psnup versions, not TeX.

Hope this helps

Dr. Norbert Preining Universit� di Siena