Re: Debian and texdoc

Hi!

> >> Yes, that will work.
> > "texdoc -s cjk" works.
> > Are packages allowed to modify /etc/texdoctk/texdoctk.dat if teTeX is
> > installed?
> No, it's a conffile (how did we manage that?  Hasn't it been a
> ucf-managed file previously?).

I don't remember how it was managed in Debian before.  I wasn't too
interested in documentation until very recently.

> > On TeXlive, there is a line for the CJK package under
> > "@Extended Systems":
> >   cjk;Typesetting Chinese/Japanese/Korean (CJK);latex/CJK/doc/CJK.txt;
> Yes, since cjk is part of texlive, but not of teTeX.

All the more important to have a system that is a bit more
flexible, because teTeX does not contain all CTAN packages like
TeXlive does. =)

> There's a version of texdoctk in the making that will allow packages to
> add their additional *.dat files.

Great.  But will it be flexible enough for a few dozen of these files?
I.e., will the numbering/... scheme be sufficient?

> >> This is a general problem with LaTeX documentation, and there are at
> >> least discussion how this could be resolved generally.  For the time
> >> being, the usual approach is to do nothing, and to teach users to use
> >> "texdoc -s <keyword>".
> > I see.  If I may suggest a system?  Let's make a
> > /etc/texdoctk/texdoctk.d/ directory with 010guides_and_tutorials,
> > 020fundamentals, 030macro_programming, etc. (number ends with 0 so it
> > would be on top of each section when the computer sorts the list; or
> > it could be a hyphen; I clearly haven't thought this through enough).
> We are talking about different problems here - I was talking about
> texdoc, you are talking about texdoctk.  Both work differently -
> texdoctk has a fixed database, currently consisting of texdoctk.dat,
> possibly expandable by your or a different mechanism.  texdoc, on the
> other hand, uses kpathsea to find documentation files available on the
> system, and there's no easy way out of there are two files in different
> directories with the common name "manual.pdf".

So we have three documentation systems: helpindex.html (with mkhtml;
it seems to scan the docdir for document files, and then adds the file
"helpfile" to helpindex.html), texdoc and texdoctk.  And apparently
there is also texdoc.php with /u/s/d/texmf/tdphp/, which seems to use
the texdoctk files.

That's quite confusing for me.
Are there also initiatives to create just one system of displaying
documents?

Best regards

Danai SAE-HAN
韓達耐