Re: Fun with updates

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> The update was smooth and up to now everything is working fine.
> Congretulations!

Nice to hear!

> I was a bit suprised to find a directory /e/t/fonts/map/dvips/context
> with il2-ams-cmr.map and pl0-ams-cmr.map in it. Both these mapfies
> belong to teTeX 2.0.2 and are probably left overs from my 2.0.2 -> 3.0
> update. Unfortunately I don't know where those files where before. Maybe
> /e/t/map/dvips/context. But I am wondering why these files seem to have
> been moved, while all the other files in /e/t/map/dvips were not
> touched.

Hm, the plan was to touch all our old files:  Remove them if unchanged,
and move them to the oldstuffdir if changed.  I guess I have once
implemented that in tetex-base's version of common.functions.in, but it
got overwritten by tex-common's.  I have now made an according fix in
tex-common.

Are there any files in /etc/texmf/map/ that belong(ed) to teTeX?

> I sort of expected to have problems with all these mapfiles no longer
> being found, but that is not the case:
>
> $ kpsewhich lm.map
> /etc/texmf/map/dvips/lm/lm.map
>
> I find it rather strange that lm.map is found there, but TEXFONTMAPS
> contains
>
> $TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//

Hm, it should contain

% font name map files.
% TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//
% temporarily add the old path
TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//;$TEXMF/dvips//

The line you cite should be commented - this comes from tex-common, and
was in it or in teTeX-3.0 from the beginning.

$ dlocate -L lmodern | grep /etc/texmf
/etc/texmf
/etc/texmf/dvips
/etc/texmf/dvips/lm.map

So this is (on sarge) the place where lm.map should be, and where it
will be found.  On sid, it should rather be in /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips.

> If in both braces the empty path after the last comma takes effect,
> *every* file within a TEXMF tree can be found when looking for map
> files:

A fortunate bug, it seems...

> $ kpsewhich --format=map article.cls
> /usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
> $ kpsewhich --format=map 55Fonts.cnf
> /etc/texmf/texmf.d/55Fonts.cnf
>
> What is the rational behind this setting of TEXFONTMAPS?

I don't know, I really forgot.  Upstream simply has

$ grep TEXFONTMAP tetex-bin/tetex-bin-3.0/texk/kpathsea/texmf.in-teTeX
TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map//

and I know why I added ;$TEXMF/dvips//:  To make it compatible with
2.0.2 paths.  I guess that the setting we have currently was from a beta
version of teTeX-3.0, but I am not sure.

So obviously we should fix this;  without breaking anything and with
keeping backwards compatibility we could write

TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/,}map//;$TEXMF/dvips//

but we should remove the empty path before map as soon as possible.
Comments?