Re: Fun with updates

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 18:24 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:
>
> Are there any files in /etc/texmf/map/ that belong(ed) to teTeX?

No. Only files from lmodern version 0.92-11 and locally created font
packages (I ought to update mk-tex-fontpack ...).

> > $TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//
>
> Hm, it should contain
>
> % font name map files.
> % TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//
> % temporarily add the old path
> TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//;$TEXMF/dvips//

TEXFONTMAPS looks exactly like this here. I only cited that part of the
path relevant for the current discussion.

[...]
> /etc/texmf/dvips/lm.map
>
> So this is (on sarge) the place where lm.map should be, and where it
> will be found.  On sid, it should rather be in /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips.
Yes, and current sid packages still have the map files below
/etc/texmf/map/dvips.

[...]
> So obviously we should fix this;  without breaking anything and with
> keeping backwards compatibility we could write
>
> TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/,}map//;$TEXMF/dvips//
>
> but we should remove the empty path before map as soon as possible.
> Comments?

Looks good to me. That way all three possible locations for map files
should be covered. TeX Live has switched to map files in
TEXMFDIST/fonts/map/dvips, right? So there should be no problems from
that side.

cheerio
ralf