Re: Font packages for TeX

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 19:31 +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
> > So the main question for me is whether or not calling mktexlsr and
> > updmap-sys with an unconfigured tetex-bin/texlive-basicbin can cause any
> > harm.
>
> mktexlsr:  No.
> updmap-sys:  I don't think so, although it takes unnecessary time.

IMO it's fine then. This unnecessary updmap-sys call will only happen if
the font package and tetex-bin/texlive-basicbin are installed at the
same time but tetex-bin/texlive-basicbin is configured after the font
package. I think one can live with that.

[...]
> > I am not sure about the relative merits of the two approaches.
> >

> The first is missing the stderr redirections, otherwise users will be
> confused.  The second has the additional merit of not throwing away
> stderr.

Ok. Together with the comments from Florent it would boil down to
something like

if which mktexlsr >/dev/null && which updmap-sys >/dev/null; then
   mktexlsr
   updmap-sys --quiet
else
   echo "No TeX-System present."
fi

Or like the current lmodern packages

if which mktexlsr >/dev/null; then mktexlsr; fi
if which updmap-sys >/dev/null; then
    printf "Running updmap-sys... "
    updmap-sys --quiet
    echo "done."