Re: tetex-3.0 and the repackaging of the orig.tar.gz files

On 29.11.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
> Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> schrieb:

Hi *,

[ dpkg-source -x tetex-base_not-repackaged....dsc, you will get only
  one new directory, tetex-base-$version. ]

> > Hmm, i must admit I never checked that out. Sorry for confusion!
> > Nevertheless I guess, we should not destroy our CVS changelog, if
> > it is not too hard to keep it the it is actually.
>
> It *is* hard. When renaming/moving single files, one can just
> include the whole existing changelog into the initial commit
> message; but for lots of files this is impossible.
>
> The real question to me is whether there is any value in the CVS
> changelog of files we never touched. Or rather, of files we didn't
> touch for ages, because in 1.0.7 there are no debian patches, so
> there are some changes in the diff.gz.
>
> I must say that I never looked into the CVS history of files below
> texmf, and I assume that I will never need it. Therefore I think we
> don't loose anything valuable; but this is just my way of
> working. Others may work otherwise.
>
> I have tried whether the switch (and switching only an experimental
> branch) works in my local CVS, and therefore the package I have for
> 2.99.3 is yet tweaked to expect the subdirectories directly in
> tetex-base-2.99.3.../, not in the texmf directory. But of course it
> wouldn't be a problem (just a couple of hours work and waiting for
> the copying to finish) to switch back.

As Frank already contacted me privatly I'll try to answer now. I had
just the beautiness (continuos changelogs instead of a beginning in
the middle of nowhere). If that is too hard to achieve (and we'd have
to reconvert the whole package as soon as there is a new teTeX
release), I guess it might be a good idea not to repack the tar.gz
every time. As the debian specific part stays the same I guess the
only changelogs, which are lost are these below texmf.
Ok, so get my vote: against repackaging.

Kind Regards,
  Hilmar
--
The average income of the modern teenager is about 2 a.m.