Re: Are all map files configuration files?

Hi,

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

[map files]

>                                                           while it is
> uncommon to edit the ones that come with a particular font family, it
> might be necessary under certain circumstances.

Agreed.

> Therefore I'm wondering: Now that the map files have their own
> subdirectory texmf/fonts/maps/, shouldn't we simply move the whole dir
> to /etc/texmf/maps and create a link in texmf/fonts/?

Minor nitpick: you wrote texmf/fonts/map/ in
<[🔎] 8765d13te4.fsf@alhambra.bioz.unibas.ch>.

Otherwise, I think it is a good idea. The only problem I can see with
this approach is if some of the files have to move to another package
later (for instance, tetex-extra, or something like a tetex-fonts
package), because dpkg will prompt the user I think. But this is really
a problem in dpkg. (Branden faced this issue with XFree 4.3 and decided
to let some packages like xlibs just for the conffiles they contain, but
I can understand his decision since in that case, actually migrating the
conffiles would cause the user to see about 350 prompts about changed
conffiles... very nice, isn't it? ;-)

--
Florent