Are all map files configuration files?

Hi,

most of the *.map files in our packages are moved into /etc/texmf/dvips
and symlinked back. There are only 9 out of 47 that aren't. In teTeX 3.0
we have 15 more and I need to decide where to put them.

The ones in the fontname directory are clearly just informational. But
the other ones might be regarded as configuration files - while it is
uncommon to edit the ones that come with a particular font family, it
might be necessary under certain circumstances.

And it is all but clear to me why these 9 examples are not counted as a
configuration file currently:

$ find /usr/share/texmf/dvips/ -name "*map" -type f
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/misc/pcrr8rn.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/misc/eurosym.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/cc-pl/ccpl.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/omega/omega.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/tetex/dvipdfm35.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/tetex/lumath-o.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/psnfssx/ptm8y.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/psnfssx/phv8y.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvips/psnfssx/pcr8y.map

Therefore I'm wondering: Now that the map files have their own
subdirectory texmf/fonts/maps/, shouldn't we simply move the whole dir
to /etc/texmf/maps and create a link in texmf/fonts/?

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie