Re: tetex-3.0 and the repackaging of the orig.tar.gz files

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> schrieb:

> On 22.11.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
>> Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> schrieb:
>> > On 21.11.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> > [.orig.tar.gz is not original and the transition.]
>> >>
>> > Hmm, a few others packages (like glibc) repack their tar balls
>> > using bz2 and repack them into a .orig.tar.gz. I guess this is
>> > not an option for us, as it would not show an texmf-tree. I
>> > guess, we should keep it the way it is actually. I personally
>> > expect (when doing dpkg-source) only a single subdir and not a
>> > collection of different files. Maybe it is just a personal
>> > preference...
>>
>> Maybe I understood you wrong, but if you do "dpkg-source -x
>> tetex-base_not-repackaged....dsc", you will get only one new
>> directory, tetex-base-$version. It is only below that directory
>> that we will get more than two subdirectories (currently only
>> debian/ and texmf/).
>>
> Hmm, i must admit I never checked that out. Sorry for confusion!
> Nevertheless I guess, we should not destroy our CVS changelog, if it
> is not too hard to keep it the it is actually.

It *is* hard. When renaming/moving single files, one can just include
the whole existing changelog into the initial commit message; but for
lots of files this is impossible.

The real question to me is whether there is any value in the CVS
changelog of files we never touched. Or rather, of files we didn't touch
for ages, because in 1.0.7 there are no debian patches, so there are
some changes in the diff.gz.

I must say that I never looked into the CVS history of files below
texmf, and I assume that I will never need it. Therefore I think we
don't loose anything valuable; but this is just my way of
working. Others may work otherwise.

I have tried whether the switch (and switching only an experimental
branch) works in my local CVS, and therefore the package I have for
2.99.3 is yet tweaked to expect the subdirectories directly in
tetex-base-2.99.3.../, not in the texmf directory. But of course it
wouldn't be a problem (just a couple of hours work and waiting for the
copying to finish) to switch back.