Re: lmodern fonts and sarge

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:

> Well, I think there are a lot of guides in the net, which describes
> how to install a Postscript font. That update-updmap etc. is
> described in Readme.Debian. But this statement is very IMHO.

Despite these "lot of guides in the net", my experience with
fr.comp.text.tex showed that a fair amount of LaTeX users were a bit
confused when it came to update map files. Perhaps they did not find
them, or did not read them because they just wanted to produce
documents, instead of learning how to become a TeX administrator.

Not to mention the beginner who will try to produce his first PDF file
with French (or <insert languages here>---you have a non-exhaustive list
in one of my earlier posts) text inside and get an output that looks
awful output with acroread (perhaps he will only notice the problem once
he sends a document to someone else that complains. Yay!). Once
understands there is a problem, he can relatively easily learn about
cm-super and lmodern. And also how to become a TeX administrator. Steep
learning curve for some people.

By the way, there is *one*, not a lot of, code of conduct for Debian
mailing lists. I am feeling obliged to remind you that it is located
here:

since you apparently didn't get that it requires you not to Cc me as I
didn't request it (and yes, I even used Mail-Followup-To).

> see above. There are font installation guides.

Right.

>> *and* would not be misled by a documentation about a slightly
>> different TeX distribution (e.g., teTeX 1 or even teTeX 2 without
>> the Debian update-updmap stuff, and, well... all the non-teTeX TeX
>> distributions).
>>
> we're speaking about teTeX2, right? Yes, I guess there are font
> installation guides in the net, which refer still to teTeX1, which
> makes the job not less complicated.

I does. A guide for tetex 1 not necessarily mentions in bold blinking
letters that it cannot be used for tetex 2. This can confuse beginners.

> psfonts.map is generated. There is a little note in the header of
> that file, so no problem.

No big problem, agreed.

> Correct. I just wanted prevent, that the packages gets arbitrarily
> complicated.

I am not sure lmodern is going to render the tetex packages arbitrarily
complicated and I have the impression this has already been discussed.

But as the one who prepared the latest lmodern package, I am not going
to answer this kind of post anymore. I mean, I must be biased. I invite
all interested readers of debian-tetex-maint to try to reach a
consensus, and I shall apply the decision without arguing. I already
explained the outcome is not a big issue for *me*.

--
Florent