Re: #debian-tetex is not exactly hopping....

From: Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de>
Subject: Re: #debian-tetex is not exactly hopping....
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 21:59:01 +0200 (CEST)

> > Also -- any thoughts on creating some sort of tetex-update package
> > with newer LaTeX packages.  I know that Atsuhito Kohda does
> > something similar for debian-jp (with the newer LaTeX); maybe we
> > could just include the newer packages, and not duplicate packages
> > already in tetex-base or tetex-extra, which would make
> > tetex-update smaller and less of a hassle to download.  I have
> > more thoughts on this (as, I suspect, does Atsuhito -- we talked
> > about it on the list last year).
>
> I'm not sure whether we really need to have the latest version of
> everything - what are the great benefits of having a newer LaTeX? In my
> opinion it's perhaps worth it upgrading some packages inside teTeX when
> this fixes bugs, but I do usually prefer to stay with upstream and I
> prefer waiting half a year for a new teTeX over trying to upgrade
> everything ourselves.

I agreed.  Perhaps tetex-update containing only the latest
LaTeX is sufficient and makes the relation between other
tetex-* packages much simpler, I guess.

But in that case, the name tetex-update might be confusing
and latex-current or latex-update seems better.

If we get consensus to some degree then I wish to
realize this idea.  If no one has time to do so,
perhaps I can make the package.

Best Regards,		2001.6.6

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.