Re: X server will not start up after driver "upgrade"

On Fri, 2005-08-07 at 10:56 -0400, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Richard Boyce wrote:
>
> > Hi Brandon,
> >

> >> I did it anyway, and it crashed my computer.  So I rebooted into
> >> recovery mode, switched back to the open 'nv' driver instead of the
> >> closed 'nvidia' driver, and rebooted.  Now I cannot start an X session.
> >> I tried re-installing the nvidia driver and unfortunately, the situation
> >> is the same.  No X session with either driver.
> >
> > I think you may be misunderstanding where the fault is here - as the
> > paragraphs below show, X starts fine. If you get a gdm login, or see the
> > X cursor, X has started and is running. The problem occurs after that.
> >
> >> With no X session running, from a console, as myself, I type 'startx'.
> >> The screen flashes, I get the 'X' mouse cursor in the middle of the
> >> screen and the debian splash, but no little icons (gnome-panel,
> >> nautilus, etc...).  Shortly thereafter I get dumped back to the
> >> console.  No errors are reported.  The output of the 'startx' command is
> >> included here:
> >
> > (snip)
> ,>
> >> Before I got to the console 'startx' level, I was running from within
> >> gdm, and the problem manifested itself in the same way. I would get the
> >> standard greeter, select my username and enter my password, and the same
> >> behavior would happen: Screen flashes, debian splash, but no icons, and
> >> shortly thereafer, the X session would quit.  But I would also get the
> >> [not helpful, oxymoronic] log output in syslog:
> >
> >> From the two paragraphs above it seems very likely that the fault lies
> > with the desktop environment you use. From your mention of nautilus I
> > presume that this is gnome? Perhaps you could try choosing a different
> > environment from gdm, just to confirm this.
> >

> Thanks for your response and your insight.  I performed a few more tests
> (sad that "starting my computer" is now tantamount to running tests) and
> found:
>   - for my user, from gdm, the result is effectively the same for Gnome,
> KDE, and Xfce -- I get a blank screen (or the debian splash) with a mouse
> cursor which still responds to mouse movement, and then about 15 seconds
> later I get kicked back to the gdm greeter.
>   - the computer has two other normal local users, who can both login from
> gdm normally.
>   - root cannot login from gdm (default security settings) but can start
> its own X session from console.
>
> So I agree with you that there is something wrong with my user, but it's
> somehow lower-level than Gnome, but higher-level than X.  What's there?
>
> I could, I suppose, try creating a new user, deleting the old user, and
> then changing the UID of the new user (I need the UID to be the same in
> order to interact with other computers properly).  But if the problem is
> deeper than user config files, this approach might not find it, especially
> if the new user ends up with the same username and uid as the old user.

> [...]

Do you have a tail of .xsession-errors for your account? What
does .gnome2/session say?

I've had that sort of a problem - had to effectively recreate the user
because I couldn't pinpoint the bad setting, but I've also had problems
such as GTK 1 being incompatible with my graphics card driver (an old
ATI Rage III Pro) from X11 4.3 - it sounds like one program, probably
early in the session loading, is set in an incompatible way. Does even
Failsafe Gnome fail? How about Failsafe Terminal?