Re: Upgrade Problems

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 11:38:09AM +0000, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> I'm using the 2.6.8 kernel to boot the machine. Thought I should
> explain that.  Does anyone know what to do to complete the upgrade
> without killing the complete system altogether ?  I don't want to go
> any further without consulting someone else.

For starters, report it as a bug in apt. No, it isn't an apt bug, but you
need to get the Release Manager for Sarge involved -- that's a bad thing to
happen.

I'd check dependencies and figure out exactly what the loop *is*.  You can
probably resolve it by temporarily removing something less critical, or
manually upgrading one package at a time (maybe with --force-depends), but
this is bad enough to be sure the Sarge Release Manager knows about it.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.