Upgrade Problems

Hi

I haven't been able to upgrade my own Debian testing workstation with
KDE 3.xx desktop since about February.  Decided to upgrade it
yesterday and did the usual 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'.
At this point APT said this to me.......

"  785 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 684 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 522MB of archives.
After unpacking 15.7MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y  "

I hit return and sat back with a mug of tea :)  At the end of the
download the following message came up on the screen...

"  Fetched 522MB in 2h38m59s (54.7kB/s)
E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the
essential package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This
is often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the
APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs ".

As far as I know removal of e2fsprogs kills the complete system.  Just
to check on what happens when I remove it I tried this.....

"  apt-get remove e2fsprogs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  initrd-tools libc6 libc6-dev libconsole libselinux1 libsepol1
locales
Suggested packages:
  glibc-doc
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  base-config console-common console-data console-tools e2fsprogs
initscripts kernel-image-2.4-k7
  kernel-image-2.4.27-1-k7 modutils nfs-common sysvinit
  libsepol1
  initrd-tools libc6 libc6-dev libconsole libselinux1 locales
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  e2fsprogs sysvinit initscripts (due to sysvinit)
6 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 11 to remove and 1454 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 81.1kB/12.0MB of archives.
After unpacking 39.1MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?] "

I'm using the 2.6.8 kernel to boot the machine. Thought I should
explain that.  Does anyone know what to do to complete the upgrade
without killing the complete system altogether ?  I don't want to go
any further without consulting someone else.

Regards

--
Richard

www.sheflug.co.uk