Re: Help with pppoe

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:31:35PM +0800, Jason Wan wrote:
> I'm not sure which mailing list to use, but since I am running etch
> testing I'm posting here.
>
> My computer has only 1 network adapter, which has 2 IP addresses, 1
> for Internet and 1 for local network. My setup looks like this:
>
> ISP -----adsl connection (pppoe) ------ network hub ------------- my computer
>
> |-------------------another computer
>
> I use an ADSL connection to connect to my ISP, and it uses PPPoE. I've
> just installed debian, so upon arriving at the apt sources setup
> screen, I switched to another terminal and ran pppoeconf. I accepted
> all the defaults. I started the connection and realized that the
> default route (which uses my computer's local network address,
> 192.168.2.1 for gateway) was not getting replaced by the route of the
> adsl connection. So I opened up /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider and added
> replacedefaultroute just about defaultroute, so that it looked like:
>
> replacedefaultroute
> defaultroute
>
> Other than this, I did not change any other configs. It all worked
> well until I restarted the computer. after this, I realized that every
> time I connected, /etc/resolv.conf (which originally contained my
> computer's local network address for dns server) would be correctly
> replaced by my isp's DNS servers, but only for 5 seconds or so. I
> could use the Internet normally during these few seconds. After this,
> it would suddenly be replaced with my computer's address, and I could
> no longer resolve dns names (although I could still use IP addresses).
> If I tried to manually enter the dns server addresses, the same thing
> would happen: it would all be replaced after several seconds, leading
> me to think that some other program was interfering.
>
> I explained a lot about my network because I think perhaps that having
> 2 addresses on the same adapter might have confused Linux, but I'm not
> sure. I'm new, so please give me simple instructions. thank you in
> advance
Apparently the DHCP client is attaining a new lease ever few seconds.
Are you behind a crappy netreg implementation?  I can't fathom any
other reason for a 5 second lease.

You can probably "fix the glitch" with:

	# pkill dhclient

Maybe you should just set a static address in /etc/network/interfaces?

Justin