Re: DMA on CD Burners

Bradford wrote:
Mr. Martens,

I'm having the same problem you had back in May.  I also have the Intel
915G motherboard and cannot set DMA for my DVD burner with the same
error you have.  Did you ever get this resolved?

Yes, I downloaded vanilla kernel 2.6.12 and installed that. I haven't had any DMA issues since then.

Incidentally, do you also get lots of ACPI errors in your boot
messages?
I'm using kernel 2.6.10 provided by Ubuntu 5.04 with the sk98lin
ethernet driver patch downloaded from SysKonnect.com.

Hmmm, I don't remember any ACPI errors, but then again, I don't reboot very often. :-)

Jason

Thanks in Advance,

Bradford C. Smith

Jason Martens wrote:

Does anyone know why I can't set DMA on my CD Burners?  It makes burning
CD's very slooooooow.  When I try to set it with hdparm, I get the
following error:

morpheus:~# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

I've tried it on two seperate drives, with the same result:
hda: SONY DVD RW DW-U10A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdb: TSST CD-RW/DVD-ROM TSH492B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Jason Martens