Re: How can sarge survive a Windows reinstall?

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 04:18:44PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:10:59AM +1100, David Pastern wrote:
> > Hendrik,
> >
> > My suggestion is to boot off Installer disk #1,
>
> Will the netinstall disk do?  Or does it have to be disk #1 of the full
> sarge CD distribution?
Yes, the netinstall is fine, as is anything else that has a kernel
which will accept a root= parameter.

> > and rather than start an
> > install, type:
> >
> > rescue root=/dev/hd*
> >
> > where * of course is where your kernel resides.  Shouldn't matter which
> > one.  Here is a bit more information:
> >
> > http://forum.libranet.com/viewtopic.php?t=5485
The kernel is on the cd, root= specifies the root partition, which
needs to have /etc/, /bin/, etc (pun intended).

> Now I know how drive and partition numbers work in grub, but just
> which partition am I to specify on this command?  The root of my
> sarge system?  of my woody system?  I still use both, at least, I
> will until sarge becomes stable.  Or the root of the partition that
> contains the /boot/grub/menu.lst file?
Partition numbers are different to grub/lilo/kernel.  When the kernel
accepts "root=/dev/hda1", that's just for convenience that it doesn't
use a completely different naming scheme.

> And just what is it that gets installed to the MBR.  Just a
> first-stage trampoline that finds the rest of grub elsewhere?
Yup.  The MBR is 512 bytes, at least 66 of which are not code.

Justin