Re: adding new Hard Disk to sarge

On Friday 18 February 2005 07:42 am, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:54:03AM -0600, Mr Mike wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > That's not the right partition then.  What does cfdisk /dev/hdc have
> > > to say about it?
> >
> > well guess what?  i found the ide-disk module wasn't loaded!
>
> That would do it:)

Looks like sarge didn't see any ide disks during install so didn't bother to
set up loading a module that wasn't going to be used..  Makes perfect sense
to me too..

> > <RANT>
> > I 'still' don't believe for a heartbeat it has to be mounted via
> > same route as removable disk like floppy.  During installation, the
> > partitioning section asks for Mount Points and assigns them to
> > 'partitions' NOT directories...  assume 1 large scsi disk /dev/sda
> > the process would include something like this..  Create a partition,
> > choose a filesystem for the partition, then assign it a mount
> > point..  the user might decide to use the following scheme
>
> No, it definitely has to be mounted over an existing directory.
>
> mount(2):
> DESCRIPTION
>  mount attaches the filesystem specified by source  (which  is
>  often  a device name, but can also be a directory name or a
>  dummy) to the directory specified by target.
>
> Andries Brouwer has written a good description of what mount() does;
> (Oops, maybe its squirreled away in a bug report?  I forget.)  mount()
> asks the kernel to associate with a given pathname a certain "device".
> As long as that "device" (or whatever it is) is mounted, referrering
> to that pathname implicitly references the device.  The previous
> meaning of the pathname is changed (and the contents are invisible)
> until that "device" is unmounted.
>
> > partition # size  type  mount point
> >       1                250mb      ext3     /boot
> >       2                512mb      swap          none
> >       3                60gb         ext3           /
> >       4                rest           ext3           /home
> >                         of disk
>
> /, /home, and /boot are all required directories, says the FHS.
> http://www.debian.org/devel/
> So, the installer will have created them before your machine tries to
> boot.
>
> If you were to tell the installer to mount device foo onto /bar, it
> would either 1) fail, until you create /bar, or 2) implicitly mkdir
> /bar.
>
> > An initial fstab is created with entries for
> > /dev/sda1  /boot
> > /dev/sda2  none (swap)
> > /dev/sda3  /
> > /dev/sda4  /home
> > all of which are referencing partitions not physical directories on
> > the disk.
>
> They must be physical directories on some disk (well, it could be a
> ramdisk, I guess).  The kernel will mount / during boot (so that it
> can call /sbin/init).  / must be associated with a device which
> contains physical mountpoint (in ext2,3, fat, ntfs, bfs, ufs, isofs,
> etc) on which mount your other devices.
>
> > If this isn't right then I'm totally confused by the linux mount point
> > concept..
> > </RANT>
>
> I think it does what you think, except that the directory must exist.

Ok...  I'm definately going to have to spend some more time in mount man pages
then.. :-(

I must say... this has been a sobering lesson and I wish i could take back the
rant but unfortunately now that my big mouth is open the only thing left to
do is INSERT FOOT.. lol...

> > > modprobe emu10k1; play
> > > /usr/share/games/madbomber/sounds/bigexplosion.wav
> >
> > will give this a try... actually think its' alsa cause I can get it to
> > work but always a hassle..
>
> That should still work with alsa.  As best as I can tell, ALSA and OSS
> modules are both called emu10k1.

Yes, I've noticed that..  but have been too consumed with the disk issue to
pursue this issue too much...  Maybe now I can investigate this one a little
deeper..

> You might be interested in the kernel's abilities to automatically
> load modules.  I don't know much more; and it may not be enabled in
> your kernel.

All in all, let me say thanks Justin...  you've been a big help and put up
with my 'sometimes <g>' grumpy attitude..  I appreciate that a lot..

--
Cheers: Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...

All intelligent species own cats.