RE: lilo fails on root raid 1 on 2.6.4

Thanks for the reply Neil,

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've struck an issue attempting to run lilo when booting to
> a raid 1
> > system using a stock Debain 2.6.4-1-686 unstable release
> kernel image.
> >
> > After sucecssfully booting into the raid filesystem,
> attempts to run
> > lilo give me the error...
> >
> > Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0000
> (NFS/RAID mirror
> > down ?)
> >

> You probably need a "raid-extra-boot=" option in lilo.conf
> Just list the partition(s) that are currently active and it
> might work.

I've been able to apply the "raid-extra-boot=" option on an alternate
system and did a bit of toying around with the syntax to see what was
required and possible. All was well on the test machine, running the
same 2.6.4-1 kernel, however the problems persist....

With raid-extra-boot=/dev/hdc,hda  (hda being marked as failed)...

Fatal: Unable to open dev/hda

With raid-extra-boot=/dev/hdc ...
Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0000 (NFS/RAID mirror
down ?)

And with raid-extra-boot=auto...

Warning: Boot sector on  /dev/md0  will depend upon the BIOS device code
  passed in the DL register being accurate.  Install Master Boot Records
  with the 'lilo -M' command, and activate the RAID1 partitions with the
  'lilo -A' command.
Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0000 (NFS/RAID mirror
down ?)

...==>...

# lilo -M /dev/hda
/boot/boot.0300 exists - no /dev/hda backup copy made.

 *** oops, well at least I have a boot disk....

The Master Boot Record of  /dev/hda  has been updated.
# lilo -M /dev/hdc
Backup copy of /dev/hdc in /boot/boot.1600
The Master Boot Record of  /dev/hdc  has been updated.
# lilo -A /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc2
# lilo -A /dev/hda
/dev/hda2
# lilo
Warning: Boot sector on  /dev/md0  will depend upon the BIOS device code
  passed in the DL register being accurate.  Install Master Boot Records
  with the 'lilo -M' command, and activate the RAID1 partitions with the
  'lilo -A' command.
Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0000 (NFS/RAID mirror
down ?)

Perhaps it may be due stale bios HDD detection as...
lilo -T geom

    bios=0x00, cylinders=80, heads=2, sectors=18
        (  1.44Mb         2,880 sectors)        C:H:S supported (IBM PC
bios)

BIOS reports 2 hard drives
    bios=0x80, cylinders=1022, heads=255, sectors=63    vol-ID: 95759575
        (  8.40Gb    16,418,430 sectors)        LBA32 supported (EDD
bios)
    bios=0x81, cylinders=1022, heads=255, sectors=63    vol-ID: 3A19FFA5
        (  8.40Gb    16,418,430 sectors)        LBA32 supported (EDD
bios)

And I know the Hard drives are not the same size and neither are 8.40 Gb

Cheers,

Lewis