2.4.9 kernel and large initrd file

I'm having problems creating a boot floppy containing a 2.4 kernel.

I've installed a basic woody setup, then tried to install the kernel-image-2.4.9-686 package. I have put the initrd=/boot/initrd line into /etc/lilo.conf , but dselect is failing with this message:

Setting up kernel-image-2.4.9-686 (2.4.9-1) ...
ROM image write failed (2675712 3239936)
Failed to create initrd image.

BTW this is done in vmware so maybe that has something to do with it.

2nd problem:

On another machine I have potato with a 2.4.9 kernel upgrade working fine, although I am unable to create a boot floppy. I get a kernel panic and a message: unable to mount root fs on /dev/sda1

I don't have initrd.gz on the floppy (it is over 2mb). Does it need to be there and if so is it possible to remove things from it?

thanks for your help, hope the 2nd part is not too OT

Erik

|   Erik Erskine                                 erik@sundayta.com   |
|   Sundayta Ltd                                                     |